May 27, 2022 Adoption Applicants / Birth Mothers
Our Experience with Open Adoption in Florida
Hi, We’re Makell and Orion. We adopted our child through ACF and wanted to share our experience with open adoption in Florida. You see, when we first started the adoption process, we were very set on a closed adoption. We didn’t want to “share” parenting responsibilities with two other people. In order to get a home study, we were required to attend 10 hours of adoption training. Part of this training was listening to an adoptee panel and a birth parent panel. Our eyes and our hearts were opened to the concept of an open adoption in Florida. It isn’t about sharing the parental responsibilities, it is about what is best for the child.
We also learned about the adoption triad. The triad includes the birth parents, the adoptive parents, and the adoptee. The most important person in that entire triangle is the adoptee. Everyone should be rallying around the child and loving them. This helps the adoptee to know where they came from and what their story is.
For us as the adoptive parents, having an open line of communication has been an amazing experience.
What We Love About Open Adoption in Florida
- We can ask questions (medical history, patterns with birth siblings, etc).
- Our child will always know who her birth parents are and what they are like.
- Our child will be able to understand from her birth parents why she was placed for adoption.
- Open adoption in Florida allows our child to still be a part of their birth parents’ lives – which is huge!! For most birth parents, placing a child for adoption is a difficult choice and causes pain and sadness. Our adoptive child can FaceTime with her birth parents. This helps them so much with overcoming these feelings. They love having a relationship with her.
- When it comes to the various types of adoption, closed adoptions are slowly becoming less and less common as both adoptive parents and birth parents recognize how open adoption in Florida affects the child is a positive way. We wouldn’t change anything about our adoption and love our daughter’s sweet birth family!
Interested in Adoption?
ACF Adoptions is a licensed, private adoption agency that has provided professional adoption services to birth mothers, adoptive parents, and children since 1992. We’re here for you 24/7 and everything we discuss is confidential. Call us Toll-Free at 800-348-0467 or text us at 954-540-2383